Green Smoothies use to look so gross to me to be honest. I always thought that smoothies shouldn’t have spinach. Then I went through the downfall and recovery of an eating disorder (will be posting that story soon) and realized these smoothies were amazing for you. Now, I don’t have time to make these everyday but I try to at least three times a week because of how simple it is and how good it is for you.
I think a lot of people want to make these and try them but don’t really know how or which recipes will work the best…so I am here to help with that. The recipe I like the best is one called the Youthful Glow Green Smoothie by the site Modern Honey. They have a great guide on what each thing does for your body so I thought I would include that here before jumping into the recipe…
Banana – An essential in smoothies as it adds creaminess, a touch of sweetness, and helps you feel full longer. Plus, it’s rich in potassium and fiber and gives you natural energy.
Pure Apple Juice – Since it’s packed with Vitamin C, it’s a friend to your immune system. The sweet juice counteracts the bitterness of the greens and leaves a refreshing taste.
Kale – Insanely low in calories. Powerful anti-oxidant with anti-inflammatory properties. Helpful for arthritis and autoimmune diseases. Helps to create that youthful glow.
Spinach – The beauty of spinach lies in how easy it is to disguise the taste. It’s mild tasting yet packed with an abundance of vitamins, has anti-cancerous properties and is one of the healthiest foods on the planet.
Cucumber – Since it’s 95% water, it’s an incredible detoxifer. Helps with liver and kidney function.
Lemon – The “happy fruit” – one of the most important items to stock in your kitchen. It’s a highly effective cleansing agent and cuts through the bitterness of greens.
Now into the real recipe!!
What you need:
- 2 Handfuls (approximately 2 cups) Kale or Power Greens Mix
- 2 Handfuls (approximately 2 cups) Baby Spinach
- 2 cups Pure Apple Juice
- ½ Cucumber
- ½ Lemon, squeezed (for extra benefits, use the juice from an entire lemon)
- 1 Banana
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Ginger, grated
What to do:
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Drink right away as the foam will rise to the top which means that you have lots of good fiber to drink.
- *Using a frozen banana will allow you to use less ice.
- *For added nutritional benefits, swap water with apple juice and add one whole apple or swap out 1 cup of apple juice for 1 cup of water and add ½ apple.
As you can see the what to do section is very small and simple. So buying the ingredients in bulk and sorting them out and then freezing them would give you the perfect smoothie recipe on demand. Just store them in freezer bags and then when you want one throw the contents in the blender!
Well, I hope you try out and enjoy this recipe!!